Adoption of Adult
There are lots of reasons why someone may want to adopt an adult in Texas. Some of the more common reasons we see are
- You want to formalize an emotional parent-child connection with the parent that raised you.
- You want to extend health insurance benefits or qualify for financial aid to protect the young adult in your life.
- You want to ensure inheritance rights.
- You want to establish legal rights as a caregiver for a disabled adult.
Regardless of the reason for adult adoption, we make it easy with our 3-step process.
Our service is
Quick! Instantly download the completed paperwork.
Affordable! More cost-effective than hiring an attorney.
Guaranteed! We guarantee that the paperwork will be accepted for filing.
Adult Adoption Package includes:
- Original Petition for Adoption of Adult
- Consent Form for Adult to be Adopted
- Final Order of Adoption
- Instructions for filing and presenting to the court, including a script
- State of Texas VSU form to change birth certificate
Does NOT include:
- Name Change
- Court Filing Fees or other costs
Frequently Asked Questions
How does an adult adoption benefit my family?
Adult adoption allows you to honor the person you love be creating a lasting, family bond.
But did you know that adult adoption can do more?
- Inheritance rights ensure you pass on your legacy.
- Extend health insurance benefits or qualify for financial aid to protect young adults longer.
- Establish legal rights for caregivers so you can provide better care for disabled adults.
- Tax benefits for dependents enable you to provide a better lifestyle for your family.
Where do I file my adult adoption?
The parent who is adopting the adult should file the adult adoption suit in the district or county court that handles family law cases in the county in which that parent lives. Refer to Texas Family Code Section 162.502.
Tip: If you are not sure if your local court handles these types of cases, call the court clerk and ask, “Are you a district or statutory county court granted jurisdiction in family law cases and adoptions?” If the clerk says, “yes”, then you can file there. If the clerk says, “no”, then ask them to direct you to the right clerk and keep calling until you find the right one.
If my stepparent adopts me, does that mean they adopt my brothers and sisters too?
No. An adoption of one adult does not create a parent-child relationship for siblings. Each sibling will have to have his or her own adoption by the adoptive parent.
What is the effect of an adult adoption?
The effect of an adult adoption is that the person who is adopted can inherit from the adoptive parent but not from his or her biological parent anymore. However, the person adopted can still continue to inherit from his or her brothers and sisters, since that relationship is not affected by the adoption.
What are the requirements for an adult adoption in Texas?
The Texas Family Code Section 162.501 et seq. sets out the requirements for an adult adoption.
The adoption of an adult in Texas requires:
- All adults involved must agree to the adoption.
- The person filing the petition must be the person adopting the other adult.
- The petition must be filed in the county where the person adopting the other adult resides.
- If the person filing the petition to adopt is married, his or her spouse must join in the petition for adoption of the other adult (even if the other person is the biological parent of the adult to be adopted).
- The person filing the petition and the adult to be adopted must attend the final hearing.*
* In some cases, this requirement may be waived.
Why should I use your service when I can get the forms online for free?
You benefit from our experience.
Adult adoptions are uncommon, and many lawyers do not know that they exist, let alone how to handle one. Because they are uncommon, court clerks and even judges sometimes don’t know what to do.
To be clear, you don’t hire us as your law firm, and we don’t give you legal advice. Rather, you buy a do-it-yourself package from us that we have developed from our experience with adult adoptions so that you benefit from our experience without the high price tag. That means that we save you all the time, embarrassment, and expensive mistakes that we made when we first started doing these by providing you with clear, tested instructions, forms, and resources.
We also use technology with our service that makes it easy to fill out easy to understand questions that enable our system to fill out the forms for you. The forms are completed without you trying to figure out how to fill out the form yourself, and you get them instantly upon completion of the questionnaire.
You get extras.
With our package, you can get extras like a name change, name change guide, and birth certificate amendment forms that no one else offers with their packages because we know from experience that this is what helps clients after the adoption is complete.
You get great customer service.
We have not only the experience but also the customer service that other sites don’t offer for adult adoptions. We understand that you want a quick, simple, and affordable option, but that you also want it done right. If you have questions about your package, you can contact us and speak with a member of our team. Our service offers the best of both worlds – affordability and the convenience of do-it-yourself combined with the guidance and expertise of a law firm.
You get a satisfaction guarantee.
We guarantee that our forms will be complete and have everything you need to file in the State of Texas. If for any reason your filing is rejected, contact us to see if we can help you correct the error and resubmit it. If we can’t help you, then we will refund your money.
Alexandra Geczi PLLC, Dallas, Texas. Visit www.FamilyLawDFW.com to learn more and to contact us.
This website and self-help services and forms are not a substitute for legal advice. Free forms and instructions may be available on your state or local court website. Communications from you are not covered by the attorney-client or work product privileges. Any purchase from this website is subject to and governed by our Terms and Conditions. All attorney services are provided independently through Alexandra Geczi PLLC and are subject to a separate attorney-client agreement.
Terms and Conditions